Concours d’Elegance of America Announces Official Charities
February 27, 2012, Troy, MI – The Board of Directors of the Concours d'Elegance of America has announced that the College for Creative Studies (CCS), Leader Dogs for the Blind and Hospice of Michigan will be its charitable beneficiaries at the 2012 Concours d'Elegance of America at St. John's.
Concours’ Director and Chief Judge, Bill Parfet explained, “To further celebrate the heritage of Detroit, a portion of the proceeds of the Concours d'Elegance of America at St. John's is designated for local educational and charitable organizations. This year the College for Creative Studies (CCS), known for its world preeminent automotive design curriculum; Hospice of Michigan and Leader Dogs for the Blind have been chosen.”
From its founding 32 years ago, the Concours has always had a charitable purpose. For its first 32 years, historic preservation of Meadow Brook Hall on the campus of Oakland University received more than five million dollars in funds generated by the event which were directly used for the preservation, restoration and maintenance of the nationally listed historic structure.
After moving the Concours to The Inn at St. John’s in Plymouth in 2011, the Board of Directors discussed the possibility of naming new charities to benefit from the event. After careful consideration, the Concours Board selected three: The College for Creative Studies, Leader Dogs for the Blind and Hospice of Michigan.
The 2012 Concours d'Elegance of America will be held on Sunday, July 29. For tickets, information on ancillary events, parking and more, please visit the website at www.concoursusa.org.
ABOUT THE CONCOURS:
The Concours d’Elegance of America has been recognized through its longevity as the pre-eminent American-centric car show in the country. By featuring the heritage and history of Detroit, the show highlights the important role of styling, engineering, custom manufacturing, volume manufacturing, celebrities and technology on the evolution of the automobile. Known for the wide breadth of its exhibited vehicles, the show field at St. John's showcases cars from all eras; and because of the interconnectivity with the rest of the world, cars from all countries coalesce around incredible design and manufacturing ideas to create an amazing car show experience.
ABOUT THE CHARITIES:
College for Creative Studies
The College for Creative Studies (CCS) is a private, fully accredited, four-year college located in Detroit, Michigan. It is credited with having one of the world’s finest programs in transportation design and for placing more graduates in the automotive design industry than any other school.
The college had its origin in 1906 with the formation of the Society of Arts and Crafts. In 1926, the society became one of the first Arts and Crafts organizations in America to offer an educational program in the arts. In 1933, the Society made national news by recognizing the automobile as an art form. Industrial design and commercial art were soon added to the school's curriculum. In 1962 the school officially became a college with the granting of a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in Industrial Design. In 1975 the School of the Detroit Society of Arts and Crafts changed its name to the Center for Creative Studies-College of Art and Design, and in 2001 it assumed its present name.
In 2006, it was announced that Josephine Ford, the only granddaughter of Ford Motor Company founder Henry Ford, bequeathed $50 million to CCS. This gift stands as the largest single gift ever made to a private arts college in the United States. In 2009, the College opened the A. Alfred Taubman Center for Design Education. General Motors, which built the Albert Kahn-designed building in 1927 as its first research facility, donated it to the College and provided substantial assistance in planning the project. GM has also donated three adjacent pieces of property.
CCS enrolls nearly 1,400 students pursuing Master of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Fine Arts degrees. The College also offers visual art opportunities for learners of all ages through its Community Arts Partnerships and Continuing Education programs. For more information, visit www.collegeforcreativestudies.edu.
Leader Dogs for the Blind
Founded by three Detroit-area Lions Clubs members in 1939, Leader Dogs for the Blind provides guide dogs to people who are blind and visually impaired to enhance their mobility, independence and quality of life. Each year, over 250 clients attend Leader Dog programs, most to participate in their 26-day residential training program to be paired with a guide dog. This is a life-changing event that opens the door to independence, safety and self-worth for many of their clients.
In addition to their guide dog program, Leader Dogs offers programs that enhance a person’s independence and quality of life in other ways, including orientation and mobility training, location technology (GPS) training, and a summer program for teens ages 16 and 17. Leader Dogs for the Blind was the first organization in the world to teach clients who are both Deaf and blind to work with a guide dog.
Thanks to generous donations from supporters, all services are provided free of charge including room and board, equipment, and travel to their Rochester Hills, Michigan campus for clients living in North America.
Leader Dog is recognized as a “Best In America” Charity by the Independent Charities of America (ICA).
Media Contact: Rachelle Kniffen, Director of Communications & Marketing
Phone: (248) 659-5013
Hospice of Michigan
A nationally recognized leader in end-of-life care, Hospice of Michigan was the original hospice in the state of Michigan, and is the largest. The non-profit organization cares for more than 900 patients each day in 56 counties, and has more staff certified in hospice and palliative care than any other hospice in the state.
Hospice of Michigan accepted its first patient in November of 1980. Today, Hospice of Michigan has revenues of $55 million, and delivers high quality care to patients in their homes, long-term care facilities, assisted living communities and hospitals. It serves nearly every area of the Lower Peninsula, including underserved urban and rural communities.
Hospice of Michigan’s supporters donate more than $4 million annually to fund its “open access” program to cover the cost of care to the uninsured, underinsured and for innovative programs.
In 2000, Hospice of Michigan established the Maggie Allesee Center for Quality of Life (MACQL) at its corporate headquarters with a $3 million endowment from Detroit-area philanthropist and civic leader Maggie Allesee. Inspired by Ms. Allesee’s vision to enhance the quality of life through the end of life, the MACQL is a hub for research, education and community outreach initiatives aimed at improving care for people who are seriously ill and their caregivers, at the local, state and national level. Among its innovative offerings are one-of-a-kind education programs for healthcare professionals, including physicians, registered nurses and aides.
Hospice of Michigan participates in the We Honor Vets Program through the Veterans Administration, and is accredited by the independent, non-profit organization Community Health Accreditation Program (CHAP).
For more information, call Hospice of Michigan’s CARE Center 24/7 at (888) 247-5701, go to www.hom.org or call Leslie Kota, Annual Fund Director at (313) 578-6269